Southern Piedmont Woodturners
2020 Monthly Challenge Projects
The idea is to take us out of our “comfort zone” and make something we might not ordinarily
turn while learning new skills. Expanding our collective woodturning horizon is the hope.
January Any matching pair of Candlesticks
February Anything with color added
March A tool handle
April A miniature
May Kitchen Utensil
June Natural Edge Vase or Bowl
July 3” or taller Finial
August Pen or Pencil
September Anything Multi Axis
October Toothpick Holder
November Something with or of material other than wood
- For each properly submitted entry a ticket to the SPW Raffle will be provided.
- For each challenge project you bring, fill out a “Challenge Project Slip”. Include your
name, what the item is, the wood(s) used, and any special techniques employed. Also,
indicate if you would like to donate the item to the club. Note: do not fill out a “Show
and tell slip for Challenge Projects.
- At each monthly SPW meeting place your wood turned challenge project item on the
table near the placard that says “SPW Challenge Projects”.
- All projects turned for this monthly challenge should not have been shown previously at
any meeting, show, or in the public.
- Note: there is no challenge project scheduled for the December SPW meeting as this is
typically when our Holiday party is held.
- These guidelines are subject to change.
- Google Images is a great source for ideas.