Southern Piedmont Woodturners (SPW) is a 501(c)3 non-profit, educational Chapter of the American Association of Woodturners (AAW).
We meet on the 3rd Tuesday of the month (except December) - from 6:30pm to 9:00pm - at the ClearWater Artist Studios & Gallery [223 Crowell Dr. NW] Concord North Carolina.
We host a woodturning demonstration each month (except July). We welcome guests with the hope they will want to become a member.
Here is a list of upcoming events and additional information so please mark your calendars and stay tuned for additional communications. Please put these dates on your calendar.
- August 15th
- Rick Erexson will be demonstrating the Longworth Chuck.
- Turner of the Month: John Walsh
- Monthly Challenge: Turned box using more than one kind of wood.
- September 19th
- John Walsh will demonstrate making a faux Cigar pen. He will go through the steps of selecting the types of woods to use to simulate the cigar's tobacco leaves and simulating the cigar's ash. He will also discuss the selection of hardware for the pen and will then demonstrate gluing the woods to made a blank. The blank will then be cut to length and drilled to accept the hardware which will then be glued into the drilled holes. John will then turn the blank into the cigar shape and finish it. Finally he will demonstrate how to make the wood at the tip look like realistic ashes and will affix a cigar band to complete the pen. (See pictures attached)
- Turner of the Month: Walt Hazelrigg
- Monthly Challenge: Turned bell with turned handle.
- October 17th
- Jack Reyome and Fred Connell will be demonstrating the Rose Engine Lathe.
- Turner of the Month: Tony Profera
- Monthly Challenge: Any expressionist or modernistic art turning.
- November 21st
- Charles Farrar will be demonstrating texturing and coloring techniques.
- Turner of the Month: Hazen Alward
- Monthly Challenge: Vase - any size from weed pot to large turned vessel.
- December 19th
- Christmas party at Captain Steve's Family Seafood Restaurant.
- Monthly Challenge: Christmas Ornament
July's business meeting election of officers as follows:
- Election of president - Larry Fendrick
- Election of Secretary - Hayley Kozma
- Election of 2 Board Members - Steve Martin and Hazen Alward
This Club's governing body then is:
- President: Larry Fendrick
- VP: Phil Goodman
- Treasurer: Cindy Boehms
- Secretary: Hayley Kozma
- Board Members:
A standing ovation was awarded Kathy Merk for the outstanding job she has done these past years as our President.
THANK YOU KATHY !!!!!!!
The Southern Piedmont Woodturners, Inc. is supported in part by a grant from
the Grassroots Arts Program of the North Carolina Arts Council, a state agency, and the
Cabarrus Arts Council.